From Spooky Halloween Entertainments, an early 20th century book. Illustrated with a free Halloween clip art image from my antique postcard collection.
Tale of a Pumpkin
There was a sturdy pumpkin,
On a rambling garden vine,
Growing round and fat and yellow,
’Neath fair summer’s bright sunshine.
But when the trees turned color,
And the autumn nights grew cold,
The discontented pumpkin
Began to fret and scold.
“I’m very tired indeed,” he said,
“Of this dull piece of ground;
I want to get out in the world
And take a look around.”
A friendly pumpkin nearby said,
“Be content, and by and by,
Perhaps you’ll have the happy luck
To be made into a pie.”
“A pie!” he scoffed. “Oh, what a fate
For a handsome chap like me!
They shall not make me into pie—
Just wait, my friend, and see.”
The other, sighing, answered,
“Well, may be, and maybe not,
But folks won’t wait for your consent
To stew you in a pot.”
“I’ll run away,” the pumpkin said,
“I will not meet such fate.”
But though he tried his very best
He could not navigate.
Just then two boys come running there,
To take a look about,
And when he saw this pumpkin
Bob gave a happy shout.
“Oh, see!” he cried, “see what I’ve found,
Here’s just the very one.
Won’t he be a beauty though,
When I get him nicely done?”
They carried him off proudly,
Past houses, shops and stores,
And the pumpkin grew quite happy
As he looked the landscape o’er.
“The world is very fine indeed,”
He said with contented sigh,
“And I’m sure these boys do not intend
To make me into pie.”
They took him to a place trimmed up
With black cats and colors gay,
And there they carved and slashed him
In a brisk and reckless way.
They gave him eyes and nose and mouth,
And they placed a light within,
And when the children saw him
They all commenced to grin.
And as the happy pumpkin gazed
Upon the jolly scene,
He said, “How grand and wonderful it is
To take part in Hallowe’en!”
- Vintage Witch in Jack O’ Lantern Pumpkin from Antique Halloween Postcard This Halloween clip art image is from an antique postcard....
- Fluorescent Jack O’ Lantern Oh my goodness! I picked up an inexpensive set of...
- Jack O’ Lantern for a Thursday Night After a long day, this was about all I could...
- Jagannath Jack o’ Lantern Had an odd idea, to create this Jack o’ Lantern...
- Luminous Jack O’ Lantern Black Light Jack O’ Lantern, painted with Acryla luminous gouache....